When you purchase a license for ClipMate, we send your name/key combination via e-mail. It is important to save this e-mail somewhere safe, preferably electonically, and in multiple places. It's sad when your PC or hard disk crashes, catches fire, or is stolen. It's even worse, when you have to hunt down licenses for all of your purchased software! We're happy to help, but realize that it IS extra work for us, and we really get tired of sending the same key for the 3rd time. Try not to become THAT customer!
Common issues with keys:
- Delayed delivery due to spam filtering - If you are expecting your key to arrive by e-mail, and it doesn't, check your spam folder. You should WHITELIST email@example.com (or any @thornsoft.com) to ensure delivery.
- Key Not Accepted - This is usually due to the wrong name being used. Both the name AND the key are required, and they have to match. If you registered using the name of John Doe, then you can't enter it into the program as J. Doe, John R. Doe, Jonathan Robert Doe, Johnny Doe, Johnathan Robert Doe III.
- Handwritten Key - If you wrote your key down somewhere so that you wouldn't lose it, you probably lost it. The key is TOO LONG to reliably record or enter by hand. And the name counts! Too often, people hand-write their key, and don't bother with the name. Then they spend an hour re-typing it over and over, without realizing that the NAME is probably wrong too - see the above tip.
- Key entered into wrong field. Read the dialog box. There's a place for the name, and a place for the key. You can copy/paste into either one, but get the right items into their fields.
- Automated Key Pasting - ClipMate 6 and 7 will look for a formatted "key block" that may consiste of a BEGIN KEY...END KEY block, or it may just have two lines - a name and the key. As the "enter key" dialog opens, it checks the clipboard for a key block and tries to paste it into the fields. This usually works, but if the key has "wrapped" or become mangled, it won't work. The name and key each have to be on their own, continuous line.
BEGIN LICENSEJohn DoeBOGUSK-EYFORT-ESTING-5KMV1D-NTM6TM-NEYZUE-XYZ1234-
- ClipMate 7.3 - Key Retrieval
In ClipMate 7.3, there is an orange "clipboard" button on the About box. Clicking on this will place some diagnostic information onto the clipboard (and thus into a new clip), which also contans the registred name/key. Use this BEFORE you move to a new PC, so that you can take your key with you. Export this clip to an XML file, text file, or send to yourself via e-mail. When you get to your new PC, copy the 4-line BEGIN LICENSE..END LICENSE block from that diagnostic clip, and then open up the Help | Enter Registration Key dialog. It should record the key automatically for you.
- If you need your key re-sent, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: ClipMate Key Request. Include the version and approximate date of purchase, your full name, physical address, any past e-mail addresses that you may have originally used. The more information that you provide, the easier it will be for us to find. Incomplete/incorrect information will result in delays. Do NOT call us! The key is too long to read over the phone, so it needs to be sent via e-mail anyway.